Sunday 28 February 2010

My Pear Cake


I'm blogging this recipe do I don't forget about it! I'm making a concerted effort to use up my bottled fruit at the moment but we're getting a bit fed up of quince and cider poached pear crumble so I've moved onto sponge cakes. This is basically a classic 3 egg sponge mix featuring the ever versatile Aspall's Cyder Jelly as a simple sticky glaze.

Pear Cake.
3 eggs (preferably laid by taciturn hens sheltering from the drizzle under a patio table)
6oz butter
6oz brown sugar
6 oz Self Raising wholemeal flour
Tsp vanilla extract
Bottled or poached pears to taste
1/4 jar Cyder Jelly.

Pre-heat the oven to gm 3. Cream butter and sugar together, add the vanilla, beaten eggs and 3 pinches of flour and mix together. Lastly, add the flour and combine. I used about 4 of my pears bottled in red wine but they are quite small. If you don't have bottled pears you could use ordinary poached pears. Chop them into bite sized pieces and stir into the cake mix. Bake for about 40-50 minutes. Heat the Cyder Jelly in a pan so it melts. When the cake comes out of the oven make holes in it with a skewer then pour the warm jelly over the top. Leave it to cool in the tin.

V yummy served warm with clotted cream or vanilla ice cream.

4 comments:

  1. sounds quite nice...I'm not a huge lover of pears though so I'm a little dubious...however I do love clotted cream!!!! Could fresh pears be used??

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're not keen on pears why not replace them with something else? Plums, raspberries, blueberries would all be nice I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh...I love blueberries.....don't have cyder jelly though...hhmmm?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any jam/jelly would work providing the flavour complements the fruit, eg apples with blackberry jam.

    ReplyDelete