Monday 4 July 2011

Drink your own Garden!


Just a brief post to admire the colour of the Yellow Bullace wine Adam made last year, although it's not as beautiful as I remember thinking it was after drinking half a glass last night. It's really not bad for home brew especially considering Adam's 'chuck it in the bucket and see what happens' approach to winemaking.

I'm consulting the splendidly named charity shop find 'Drink your own Garden' for further wine making ideas although it talks about stuff like Camden tablets (for attracting Goths?) and wine nutrient. We've only ever bought sugar and yeast to add to the wild fruit/nettles/elderflowers we use and haven't died yet, although I am a bit reluctant to drink last year's batch of cider as it's a bit too sweet.

I'm not sure I'd want to drink our garden anyway what with all the chicken poo, I'm thinking I may drink the hedgerow though. Elderberry and blackberry wine for Autumn evenings 2012 I think.






6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of drinking your own garden though, no I wouldn't fancy drinking mine either. It's not just chicken poo out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am more a "drink my own allotment". I grow things specifically to make wine, such as Borage, Rhubarb and parsnips. Last year grew lots of beetroot to make spiced beetroot wine, but it didn't turn out that well, think it needs a bit longer to mature!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Borage? I have borage in the garden, tell me more, how do I make wine from it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracey,
    I have been reading your blog for a while now, but this is the first time I am commenting :)

    I have been making blackberry nip for the last few years. It has to sit a while but is well worth it because by the time it is ready to drink winter has arrived and it suits perfectly. Plus it is super easy.

    1kg blackberries
    250gm sugar
    3 cups brandy
    Mash the blackberries. Then layer in a sterilised jar with sugar and add brandy on top. Shake twice a day for 7-10 days until sugar is dissolved. Leave for 6 months, then drain and bottle.

    Recipe from Sally Wise - http://sallywise.com.au/blog

    Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all sounds wonderful....now all I have to do is convince myself I like wine..hhhhhmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't like wine???!!!! Think I need a glass of chilled white to get over that little revelation ....

    ReplyDelete