Monday 23 August 2010

So much to report, so little time.















After my last marathon post, in the interests of brevity, I'm sticking with the headlines:

  • Turns out foraging with a clutchbag isn't terribly sensible or productive
  • Mulberry trees seem to have a predilection for churchyards
  • Those courgettes are never going to go away
  • It takes an hour, 3 people, a large tarpaulin and a custom built platform to gather 11 kilos of yellow bullace
  • The sweetcorn seem to have pulled through
  • Digital cameras, akin to mobile phones and Willow's DSi, don't appreciate sitting in a puddle of water
  • Indonesian pickle is interesting (evidenced below)


Indonesian Pickle
1/2 cucumber sliced
6oz cauliflower
2 large carrots
1 - 2 chillis chopped
1/2" grated ginger
2 cloves garlic
3tsp veg oil
1/4 pint of nice vinegar (ie, not malt)
2 level tps turmeric
4 tbsp sesame seeds
4oz roughly chopped salted peanuts
4oz soft dark sugar

Cook ginger, garlic and turmeric in the oil til soft. Add the vinegar and bring to the boil. Add the chopped/sliced veg and bring back to the boil. Boil for about 5 mins (depending on veg used, it needs to soften slightly but still retain the crunch) Stir in the rest of the ingredients, heat til the sugar dissolves. Pack into hot jars and allow to mature for a month.

This is from my trusty WI recipe book, 'Jams and Preserves Old and New' though when I made it, I just used cucumber and courgette instead of carrots and cauliflower.

Next on my list to experiment with are the yellow bullace, I'm thinking jam with Cointreau and bottled with pink wine and vanilla.

Apologies for the random photo, see my camera related headline, I'm reduced to using random snaps stored on the laptop til I can get the whole debacle sorted out and further apologies for the layout. Let's just say 'Blogger - ffs!'

2 comments:

  1. oh I like the sound of the pickle...and amazingly it has no onion in it...usually there is onion of some from in EVERYTHING so I am continually adapting recipes so that my hubby will eat them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say that, I had to read it twice to make sure there were no onions in it!

    ReplyDelete