Friday 5 November 2010

Kitchen Life Returns to Normal


Apologies for the lack of posts recently. I'm sure that many of you don't know but Adam, my husband, has a brain tumour. That's not as bad as it sounds, he's fit and well, was operated on 6 years ago and made a full recovery so it's not a story of doom and disaster. He had a small re-growth 2 years ago and is now on annual MRI scans to pick up any further re-growths. The 2010 scan took place on Monday and today we got the results - all clear. Hoorah.

Needless to say I've been a bag of nerves for the couple of weeks leading up to today and wasn't really home to blogging muse if you see what I mean so that's my excuse for my lack of productivity.

Not only have a I neglected the blog but I've neglected the allotments too (oh the shame) The old allotment needs to be cleared of weeds and manured for the winter, we've lost some good days weatherwise to the brain tumour worry fug, I'm hoping we get a few nice days next week so I can redeem myself. Fortunately the new allotment is clear and needs no work but I can't think of anything to plant there just now.

I've come up with the following list of low maintenance crops for the old allotment (Bressingham) and more needy crops for the new close to home allotment (Diss) :

Low Maintenance
Strawberries, raspberries, fruit trees, possibly a hybrid berry of some sort if some kind soul buys me one for Christmas, sweetcorn, borlotti beans, broad beans, calabrese, leeks.

Needy crops
Carrots and new potatoes (I know, not needy but this is because of the wireworm at Bressingham) Rainbow chard (because I only use 2 or 3 leaves at a time so it's better off near home) lettuce, tomatoes, courgettes, cucumber, pumpkins.

Cavolo nero undecided, probably Diss due to the caterpillar patrolling.

So that's it, if anyone thinks there's something I could be doing at the Diss plot I'd be happy to hear from you as I'm feeling guilty for my lack of activity. Anyhoo, off to a celebratory evening of chocolate and alcohol with my husband - think we deserve it after all the worry.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Tracey

    Sorry that Adam has been through so much; I had sort of pickled up something was wrong from some of your posts but did not know what. I am glad that this years testing has proved to be very good news and of course, we understand the anxieties surrounding this for you. Its just nice to see you back and please take care all of you.

    With regard to the Allotments and doing something with them if you are not really up to it at the moment what about putting down a green maure crop of some sort to help enrich the soil. It might give you the time that you need with your first allotment to turn it into a fruit garden but make sure that the soil is in good condition for the plants. Am a closet gardener but I do read. Just a thought. In relation to a hybrid berry |I can recommend the Tayberrry it is delicious and you don't see the berries to buy very often but lovely like raspberries but bigger pointed berries with ice cream or fresh cream. Have had one in a previus incarnation when my garden was being grown for veg and fruit. Am trying to get the garden sorted this year so that we can supplement our food somewhat.

    Hope the evening of choccies and wine has soothed you both.

    Take care

    Tricia (aka Pattypan)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good wishes. Tayberry is an excellent idea, one of our new neighbours at Diss showed us his Tayberry. (For any family or friends drawing up a Christmas present list that's TAYBERRY)

    Adam and I are fine - rapidly back to normal! I didn't realise quite how worried I was til the worry went away (til next year anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is a Tayberry and where would I get one from?

    Glad was all well with Adam, you two deserved the wine and choc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Adam got the all clear.

    If diss is clear of weeds and you would like the plot to start being productive for you then it isn't to late to put in some garlic and broad beans to be starting through the winter months.

    If you do decide to go for a green manure then stay away from rye grass as it's a nightmare to clear up afterward.

    Here's hoping you get some good days next week...I'm hoping for a few too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Mum - I bought a couple of Tayberry canes in a Garden Centre sale today!

    Tanya - Thanks for that, garlic's a good idea, we're keeping broad beans on the old plot as they're neglectable. I thought of green manure too though my only experience of using it at home was a bit of a pain. We used field beans but they kept popping up long after they'd been dug in and confusing themselves with my other crops so I'm undecided about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tracey, I'm glad you've returned to your blog again. I first came across it a while ago, I've not always followed, but am glad to know you're keeping it up, it's a great resource.

    Dorset cereals have lots of promotions on their website, they invite you to nominate a blog and vote for it. I took the liberty of nominating yours, because I like it so much. If you get lots of votes you might win a prize. Maybe you could get your internet friends and relations to vote for you?

    Or maybe this marketing lark is not your cup of tea? Either way, I thought I'd let you know I'd nominated your blog, I hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tracey

    As a slight aside, I have nominated you for a Lovely Blog award - if you check out my blog on tarragonnthyme.blogspot you will see the details.

    Take care

    Tricia (aka pattypan)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Wow, thank you both! Have to admit I'm a bit rubbish at this sort of thing, I'll check out the Dorset cereals thing, and will probably muster a handful of votes!

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete